Sunday, October 16, 2005

Ch-Ch-Changes

From Changes by David Bowie

I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
So the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They’re quite aware of what they’re going through

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
(turn and face the strain)
Ch-ch-changes
Don’t tell them to grow up and out of it
Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
(turn and face the strain)
Ch-ch-changes
Where’s your shame
You’ve left us up to our necks in it
Time may change me
But you can’t trace time
Strange fascination, fascinating me
Ah changes are taking the pace I’m going through

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
(turn and face the strain)
Ch-ch-changes
Oh, look out you rock ’n rollers
Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
(turn and face the strain)
Ch-ch-changes
Pretty soon now you’re gonna get a little older
Time may change me
But I can’t trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can’t trace time


My apologies to David Bowie and while it may be a stretch it is somewhat appropriate. Dog will be making ch-ch-changes soon. No I'm not going away for good, the blog will remain as it is for now. Just less frequent posting.

It is with mixed emotions that Red Dog moves on. But as some of you say "I be leavin' Greenville." Leaving Greenville is not the hard part, hell, this is the third or fourth time. I found out long ago to never say never, but this time I mean it. Oh, I'll be back to visit for sure and I'll keep up with the local "happy talk" just to satisfy my curiosity. I'm sure I'll even have a comment or two on the local scene. But read my lips, I will never live in Greenville again.

I will devote this week to local/state news, or lack there of and give my thoughts on what is right and what is wrong with Mainstream U.S.A. and I invite you to jump in. (I will only break that promise if indictments are handed down in the Plamegate investigation). Let me say up front that those of you who wish to remain in Greenville, don't take my comments personal. I admire you for your choice and respect you for trying to make it work.

As for Dog, let's just say I will have all the luxuries in life, Starbucks, Barnes&Noble, Krispy Kreme, Target, Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Museums, libraries, excellent medical facilities, paved roads, where people understand customer service, private schools are the exception, and an opportunity (job). Thanks to Bush, I'll never be able to retire. Here's to rich offspring!

Paradise? No, just closer to civilization and a trip back through the time machine. My sentence in Purgatory is over and I am looking forward to the "other side."

So locals, ex-locals and wannabe ex-locals use this post to open up your minds on what is right and what is wrong with River City.

I'll start. The DDT asks, why us? I have an answer, no Leadership. That includes the government, the media, the churches, the white community, the black community and all those in between. Those in control of the destiny of Greenville are happy with things the way they are and it will take all the dogs out there working together to change things. Likely, that will never happen because people are too apathetic and those in control know that. In case you haven't figured it out yet, Greenville is a Closed Society. That's why there haven't been ch-ch-changes and there never will be. Trust me, opening a Taco Bell is not ch-ch- changes, just ch-ch-chimichangas.

3 Comments:

At 6:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spoken like a true outsider. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out (to Jackson).

 
At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why should any of us wait for Mississippi (or Greenville) to make education a priority? Privatize, privatize. You get what you pay for. I wouldn't DREAM of leaving my child's education up to beaurocrats and politicians in Washington or Jackson. I just wish I could use my tax dollars to fund the education that I want for my child.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Red Dog said...

Anonymous #1
Thank you for making my case. You are the problem not the solution, but you know that and are happy with it. Good Luck. Oh and it's not the second worst hell-hole, Jackson, either.

Anonymous #2
If you want your child to get a decent education that's free, move. It really happens, elsewhere. But you can pay your taxes and private school tuition and roll merrily along. Choice is the word.

This "head up your ass" attitude will keep Greenville forever at the bottom. Last one to leave loses.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters