Thursday, September 15, 2005

The Speech

Well it wasn't exactly a "blowhorn moment" that opportunity never existed and it wasn't an "I feel your pain" oratory, that's not Bush's style. It was, however, something. I'm not sure what to make of it. Sometimes the speech seemed as fake as the setting (it could have been done in the Oval Office) and other times he actually connected. Perhaps the most memorable comments were about the poor and the legacy of poverty. Totally out of character for the President and I'm sure many of his base (special interests) gulped.

O.K. that's enough of the smoozing. He passed, I'm not sure if it was a "D" or "C-" but he did say enough to probably help him regain a few points in the polls. Bush did roll out his "New Deal Plan", doesn't that make you conservatives gasp?
  1. Public housing close to the relief effort
  2. Gulf Opportunity Zone
  3. Free money for the dislocated

There were, however, some things he did not say
  1. Appointment of an independent 9/11 type commission to investigate
  2. The cost of the Federal Programs and where the money would come from
  3. The obvious need to raise taxes (eliminate the tax cuts-have you forgotten?)
  4. Appointment of a "Relief Czar" to streamline and account for the money that will be allocated and spent.
  5. Repeal of the suspension of the Davis-Bacon Act
  6. All contracts would be on a low bid basis (going forward-when rescue, recovery and relief are over).

Questions or WTF?

How do you feel about the military taking over? Well, if the National Guard had been available, it may not have been necessary. I know, I saw the failures of the law enforcement and fire fighters in the affected areas like everyone else, but I cannot convince myself that the military being the first on the scene in a command and control mode is the right thing to do. As a means of last resort, maybe I can support it.

The President looked more like FDR than RR tonight. The proof they say is in the pudding.

---------------------------------------

On another note: Highway Commissioner Hall was in town singing the praises of I-69. He even said that some design contracts had already been awarded. What he didn't tell us is that the contracts were for remodeling their MDOT offices.

Maybe I'm still a little too confused about Bush's liberal speech tonight. Must be an emergency recovery plan designed by Karl Rove. I'm sure he has confused a lot of liberals, as well as conservatives.

3 Comments:

At 6:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dog, I didn't watch the speech, so I'll take your left handed version. Dick Hall can't be blamed for the MDOT office remodeling; he's voted against it every time. The other commissioners even moved him out. Back to Bush, I hear he will ask for $200B. Dang some of that could fall our way? Nofatcat

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Red Dog said...

Thanks for setting me straight on Mr. Hall. I knew one of the Commissioner's opposed the remodel. Admittedly, I scanned the DDT (Is there any other way?) quickly as I had a meeting to go to. Sloppy journalism, guilty, but then again, I ain't no journalist. But hats off to Mr. Hall for taking the right stand.

About the $200 Billion - I predict that is a low number and it could go much higher. I want to spend the money, but someone (independent) should have oversight. Also, are you ready to roll back the tax cuts?

Think we could get a grant for a liquor store/gambling hall/brothel for New Orleans? Those relief workers will need a lot of relief.

 
At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dog, read these two articles about the Katrina rescue no one reported about. Turns out it was a press release failure.
http://realclearpolitics.com/Commentary/com-9_15_05_LD.html
and
http://www.connpost.com/peterurban/ci_3019749
Nofatcat

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters