Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Our Tsunami

I just get numb looking at the pictures on television, much like 9/11. I feel helpless and pissed in the same emotional moment. Watching people die is not my idea of a sport.

I don't know if it's totally mishandling, but the local law enforcement and emergency management officials have been truly in over their heads from the beginning. That's not necessarily a slam. The sad thing is that they have refused to admit it. Or worse, they have made a call and it's gone unheeded. It's obvious that Plan A didn't work and there was no Plan B. For at least 48 hours since the storm passed there have been thousands of people wandering around without any direction.

It's like a boxer who has been knocked down and gets up dazed and confused, the whole world has changed and he can't get oriented. And the hits keep coming and no one is directing him to safety.

Who's in charge? Is it local officials, who don't have the resources to cope with this type of disaster? Is it the Governor or the State? Is it FEMA or Homeland Security? It's like everyone is looking around at everyone else waiting for someone to act. The victims are long past waiting.

The sad reality is there are over 1 Million homeless, jobless refugees from this disaster many of whom are requiring basic survival needs. After these get met, then they have to deal with reality. Their shelter is gone, their income is gone, they are now dependent on others. After 9/11 I soured on the Red Cross, but I hear it is better. I know there are other good charities that provide excellent services to the victims. Red Dog urges you to support your favorite charity and give what you can. I will be making a donation to the Red Cross and to my friends on the Coast. In spite of the slow start to provide relief, I know it is coming and Americans will pitch in to help their fellow citizens.

"Did we quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"__Bluto

And I apologize for my feeble attempt at humor. Nice try to shake me LR, maybe tomorrow. If I have to keep watching Wolf Blitzer and Larry King, I probably will have to open up a can of "whupass" on somebody.

Note:
Those of you reading this blog for the first time or because it is a Mississippi blog, if you want to pass on information about Katrina or need information, drop a response. We will try to help, but my communications to the coast are probably not any better than anyone elses. I have seen the number of hits go up since Sunday, so I know people are dropping in looking for sites that may have information. That's why I put NoFatCat's link in the posting below.
http://www.artsjournal.com/aboutlastnight/

I hope Stacy Carpenter has made contact with his fiance. I did leave a message on her cell phone, but have not made actual contact. I will keep trying.

To Zachi145, as soon as I make actual contact with my friends in Gautier, I will find out. It sounds like Gautier may not have been hit as hard as some of the other places.

10 Comments:

At 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dog, I saw somewhere that they were going to change the name of NO to Looterville. This calmity should have been seen before. How could the great USA be gut punched by Mother Nature this way. She has taken out a major portion of our refineries, export, and import capacity.Nofatcat

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Red Dog said...

Cat, I agree with you 100% and will comment tonight in a posting. Maybe a little stronger than normal. I see no excuse, this is worse than 9/11.

 
At 7:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LR I couldn't agree more that it's the local governments responsibility. But this area is so critical to the nation I believe there should have been more foresight here. I' not saying it's Bush's fault. I am saying emergency response should work to get the pipelines, refineries and oil platforms back in operation. The Mayor, obviously, doesn't have a clue.Nofatcat

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just imagine what would happen if G'ville were deluged again like 1927....No police, no fire and a flooded, 50 year old hospital. My goodness just think how important the levee is and why it's worth keeping the levee board as water protection advocates on the larger political scale.

 
At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glub, glub!!!

Or maybe he was trampled in the Food Panic.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Red Dog said...

You guys should be so lucky! I forgot yo tell you that I did what any red blooded American would do during a national crisis and gasoline shortage, just like GW, I went on vacation!

A few days in Hotlanta and I'll be baaaaaack! Somewhat keeping up with Katrina, but not too close. I already had my mind made up.

Should be back tomorrow, but may or may not post depending on the time I get back. Gasoline $3 a gallon in Atlanta, no limit. Ouch!

Hey, I'm giving you guys all the time in the world to make excuses for the Federal FEMA Failure. (How's that for alliteration?)

Cheers and I will be back in a day or two.

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Red Dog said...

If there is anything else you guys want to comment on use this as an open thread. I would open one up but I'm using a MAC and not use to it, hell it took me two days to remember my password just to post this comment.

 
At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dog, There was an article the other day about this subject "New Orleans didn't just go nuts it's always been nuts".
http://www.californiarepublic.org/archives/Columns/JohnsonM/20050907JohnsonNuts.html
This says it better than I can. About Mississippi, we are working together. There have been problems but we are working around or through them. Not wailing and whining like Blanko and Nagin
Nofatcat

 
At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Liberal Democraps are using Katrina as an excuse to bash Bush. They would LOVE to see him take the blame for this rather than let their own puppets in office own up to their mistakes.

 
At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man I'm glad to out of Mound Greenville! It has become an island of welfare recipients and welfare rip-off scam artists. It will not get better in our lifetime no matter what the happy talkers say. Brother can you spare a dime? Maybe a loaf of bread would do, now that the welfarians have horded all the food. But the leaders are doing fine making lots of money off the poor. Why would they want it to change?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters