Monday, August 29, 2005

Horrible!!

Maybe 50 or so dead in Harrison County so far. Who knows how many perished in Ward 9 in N.O. It may be days/weeks/months before there can be an actual accounting of the death and destruction caused by Katrina. I fear it will be much worse than we think now.

I once lived "down there" in Gautier. My house was about 30 to 40 yards from a finger on Mary Walker Bayou. I haven't heard about the damage or the storm surge from Pascagoula to Ocean Springs, but if I can split the difference between Mobile Bay and Gulfport, at least 18 to 20 feet. I can only imagine that my old house has significant water inside it. I hope the owners left before the storm came in. But I know the people there and many of them used to brag about weathering Camille and I'm sure they felt safe. I fear many of them were wrong this time.

I watched the wind blow around here all day and the rain that accompanied it. Imagine that kind of bashing multiplied by 3. I'm glad I don't live there now. I'll have some minor yard cleaning to do tomorrow, I won't complain. Tonight I'll sleep in my bed with a roof over my head. Many folks "down there" won't be so lucky.

I'm sorry, I just don't feel very "political" right now. Maybe tomorrow.

6 Comments:

At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i need your help or anyones how reads this....i am a contract firefighter working in iraq.....my fiance is in ocean springs....i have no contact with anyone there or in any of the surrouding areas.....her name is Kimberly Odom and her last know where abouts was the Super 8 hotel at Exit 50(north ocean springs) my email address is boracaybound1@yahoo.com and my telphone number is 281-669-5005 if i am not available at this phone please leave a message with someone. thank you, stacy carpenter

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Red Dog said...

If anyone could pass this message along or help. Red Dog appreciates it. I know communication is a problem in that area.

 
At 1:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

update....i have been given emergency leave and will be flying out of iraq on sat. and arriving in ATL. on monday. Kimberly's cell phone number is 228-238-7880 if cell services come back up. if someone is able to contact her tell her to still contact my fire dept in iraq and leave any information with them. i will call and check in often once i reach Atlanta. once again thank you in advance for any and all assistance.

 
At 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Red Dog, not sure exactly where you used to live. I lived for 10 years in Seacliff, near the Jr. High in Gautier. Go to noaa.org and they have aerial pics of the region. Looks like anything 100 yards of the beach is gone or damaged, and at least in Seacliff anything along the bayou is toast. At least on the noaa site you can see how your area fared. Best of luck to you all-as for me looks like moving to Philly was a really good move.

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have made contact with kimberly but i would like to thank anyone who read this and tried. i will be in ocean springs by late sunday night or early monday morning and will check my email before departing atlanta. if i can help anyone please let me know. if there is someone you cannot reach in that area i will enform local police and i work for the fire dept. so we will see what information we can get for you.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Red Dog said...

Marc,
Thanks for the link. I have dial up and with the phone lines it's taking forever. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. I can't even remember the name of the street something Parkway and it curved around toward the bayou. I looked at a house in Seacliff when I bought that one.

Stacy, Glad you made contact with your fiance and all are doing fine. Let us know if there is anything we can do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters