Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Change of Pace - or Search for the Holy Grail

Not posting for awhile has given Red Dog time to reflect on how to direct this blog. I've decided that it will be what I want it to be about.

The latest quest is to find the ultimate $10 red wine. Don't laugh, I've had some pricey $40 and up that were reminiscent of castor oil with the after taste of chalk. So, if anyone wants to help out feel free to pitch your best $10 red. Well, if you have a white that's worthwhile go ahead and mention it too. There aren't too many rules, but the price needs to be from $8 to $12.

Now, Red Dog is not claiming to be a connosieur by any means and you certainly won't find any "wine snobbery" here. I remember the day when I thought Ripple was wine! Anyhow, here's two entries that I would like to make.

Label: Los Vascos
Region: Chile (Colchagua)
Vintage: 2004
Grape: Cabernet Sauvignon
Comments: Great aroma. I new it was good when I opened the bottle. Good balance and finishes strong. Tip: aerate it good. I had it with Red Beans and Rice and it held its own.
Price: I paid $10.79 for 750 ml.
Red Dog Rating: Four Paws

Label: Jewel
Region: California (Woodbridge)
Vintage: 2001
Grape: Cabernet Sauvignon
Comments: Good value at $9.99. Not too oaky and has good balance. Goes good with any meat dish (Pork tenderloin and steak) also, just by itself.
Red Dog Rating: Four Paws

You can tell I am a bit partial to Cabs. So give me your recommendations or try these I have suggested and give me your comments.

If anyone recommends a Merlot, I'm shutting down the site! Just kidding, I did see the movie.(Sideways.)

Oh yeah, be prepared to kiss a lot of frogs at ten bucks. Be careful, after three glasses they all become Bordeauxs

Red Dog Rating System
Five Paws - Excellent - Pure Pedigree, creme de la creme, underpriced
Four Paws - Very Good, Tell your kennel mates, have a party
Three Paws - Wagging tail, it's okay, probably priced right, buy it on "Wine Day"
Two Paws - Don't get off the porch for this one
One Paw - Fleas all over it, not for canine consumption
Hike Leg - Self Explanatory

Happy Tasting

2 Comments:

At 8:26 PM, Blogger Red Dog said...

Absolutely DW and thanks for the input. In keeping with the quest, however, what do you like that's between $8 and $12. To me a step up is $12 to $18 or so. My expectations are higher in that price range. It may be hard to compare whites and reds, but I want to keep it at the lower level simply because, there has to be that "Holy Grail" for around $10. Bogle is a good winery and I will certainly try the Old Vine Zinfandel with my next purchase. I think I might enjoy the Spy Valley Sauvignon Blanc, I'll try it too.

 
At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yellow Tail from Australia. The Merlot is excellent, Shiraz not bad either. Not too dry, fruity and lots of antioxidants for the ticker.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters