Wednesday, March 30, 2005

GREENVILLE BLAHS - Trouble in River City

That's "Trouble with a "T" and that doesn't stand for trash!

Red Dog has the rare opportunity to meet with a local official to discuss what some of the problems and issues facing the city of Greenville are and what some of the solutions may be. Putting the obvious aside, there has to be some creative solutions. Like you, Red Dog has lived in other states and experienced similar challenges, but those places seem to be more progressive. I am back in Greenville temporarily, but I feel the need to, at least, try to be constructive to those that will listen.

As many of you know there is a local blog already working to discuss the local issues. I invite you to visit that site to get a feel for some of the things people are currently discussing. Red Dog even posted a letter a couple of weeks ago that woke up some people. Everyone is "anonymous" on that blog. Probably for good reason. So if you read my letter and don't agree with everything I had to say, and believe me I didn't say it all, that's fine. I can represent your thoughts in person and invite the city officials to visit this blog to see what former Greenvillians have to say. Many of you still have family living in the area. I never thought that I would be back here, but life sometimes gets in the way of our best plans.

As a refresher, the economy here is in the tank. The tax base is moving away. Industry has folded up and moved on to cheap foreign labor markets. The education system is in shambles and the infrastructure of the city itself is decaying faster than a oak log floating in Lake Ferguson. A new mayor has attempted to do something, but as young as she is, has made some mistakes and stepped on some political toes. The "major" issues being discussed on the other blog and in the paper are: frequency of trash pickup, a bodyguard for the mayor, use of city vehicles, etc. Maybe that only reminds us of why we moved away in the first place.

I hope that I can get some responses soon so that I can have a more productive session with the local official. Otherwise, Red Dog will have to go it alone.

4 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not wanting to put myself in the way of abuse (we Southerners have a way - sometimes unkindly - of letting others know what we think),I will go by Dee. I plan on seeing you at the reunion in Oct. Having grown up in Greenville, the overwhelming negative that I get whenever we come back to Greenville for a visit or drive through is the deteriorated look in every direction, either on Highway 82 or on Highway 1. It is as though the merchants don't care - nobody cares. there are weeds growing everywhere, very rarely are there any trees, schrubs, flowers, but there is always plenty of litter. Buildings seems to be needing paint and repair..... I hate that feeling, but I don't believe I could bear living there again. And, I have always felt that I could make myself home anywhere.

What you see as you enter town is the lasting impression you have as you leave. What I DO like is what they have done with the Welcome center and that area around with its flowers and landscaping, etc. There are likely other lovely areas too, but I rarely stay long enough to look further that what I see as I come in and out.

 
At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Red Dog said...

The removed comment was a duplicate of the one above it. Thanks, Dee.

 
At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was with great sadness that we left Greenville after 40-something years. However, we have dear friends and family still there. We have business interests and come back often. However, with the outrageous rise is taxes, the business are in the process of being sold.

Instead of looking forward to our trips to Greenville, I have started to dread seeing the demise of a lovely city.

The loss of Kings Daughters Hospital is one more blow to the city. Quality seems to decline if there is no competition. It is of great concern that DRMC (which has been involved in deceptive practices in the past i.e. Burn Center) has promised no job cuts, or salary reduction and then immediately did both. This combined with the tax loss will prove to be a significant change for the worse.

I pray for some uplifting news soon so that my family might feel more secure and the community can once again prosper.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters